Aquatics / Swim Camps/Aquatic Enrichment Programs -
Aquatics - Summer 2022
Junior Lifeguarding is designed to introduce youth (ages 11-14) to the lifeguarding course by building a foundation of knowledge, attitudes and skills for future lifeguards. Participants are not required to master or perfectly execute skills. Students will learn techniques and build stamina during this program. The Junior Lifeguarding course does not certify participants in first aid, CPR or AED or as a lifeguard.
Junior Lifeguarding offers a transition from upper-level Learn-to-Swim courses to the American Red Cross Lifeguarding program, challenging participants to stay involved with aquatics.
Junior Lifeguarding will introduce participants to:
a) the skills needed for entry to the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course.
b) leadership, communication and decision-making skills.
c) The basic responsibilities, knowledge, and skills of a lifeguard.
Before entering Junior Lifeguarding, participants must demonstrate the following skills:
1. Swim the front crawl for 25 yards continuously while breathing to the front or side.
2. Swim the breaststroke for 25 yards using a pull, breathe, kick and glide sequence.
3. Tread water for 1 minute using arms and legs.
4. Show a level of comfort on the back by floating on the back for 30 seconds or swimming on the back for 25 yards using the elementary backstroke or back crawl.
5. Submerge and swim a distance of 10 feet under water.